Thursday 12 January 2017

Terrific Tassie .... Day Three of Five

Okay, I have been "threatening" you all with some more posts about our Tassie adventures, so here we go.

This is a view of the sunrise over Launceston from the balcony of our gorgeous apartment.



Day Three was the day that the guys went to play golf whilst Marie and I went exploring the Tamar Valley - we had a lot of fun playing with the panorama feature on the camera of our phones..... 


On the dock at Beauty Point (above) where we went to visit Seahorse World.

Oh, my goodness - I just loved it!  When I was a child, I had this book with full page colour photos about unusual and interesting animals in the world. There was a whole chapter with a story about the Seahorse and how the male seahorses carried the fertilised eggs, which of course was very intriguing to me and the pictures were so beautiful.  So, ever since then I have had a bit of a "thing" for seahorses.  I was thrilled to be able to see these beautiful creatures up close and personal.









Pot belly sea horses (apparently the males puff up their bellies as big as possible to show the females that they will be able to carry lots of eggs.  The biggest belly wins the fair seahorse maidens affections.)


Look, baby seahorses!


"Primary School" age seahorses...


"Secondary School" age seahorses, swarming to be fed.


These seahorses are sent all over the world - apparently as long as they reach their new home within 48 hours, all will be well.



... and here I am, actually getting to hold one of these wonderful creatures - such a thrill!




... and just to finish with the sea horses, here are a couple of videos to bore delight you all!







After Seahorse World, we stopped at an antique shop in Beaconsfield (where the terrible mine accident happened all of those years ago now) for a bit of a browse (but did not buy anything - aren't we good?)






... and then it was back over the bridge to the other side of the Tamar Valley to George Town and the Low Head Pilot Station (yes, another lighthouse for me).













As Marie and I were getting a bit peckish, we stopped for morning tea and had the most delicious sponge and cheesecake that I have ever eaten!




Can you tell which way the wind blows?  lol!



Then it was off to pick the guys up from golf and onto another treat - Franklin House

"Built for successful businessman, Britton Jones, himself an ex-convict, this rare colonial building went on to accommodate one of the Colony’s leading private schools which operated from 1842 until 1866.
In 1960, it became the birthplace of the National Trust in Tasmania, which was formed to save it, and is now also home to the Trust’s State Office."
Source: https://www.nationaltrust.org.au/places/franklin-house/

This, of course, was just my cup of tea!
























































This poster above (not the original) is quite an important one as it was created in 1816 to demonstrate that all people (aboriginal and non-aboriginal) were equal under the law.  

"Often incorrectly attributed to Governor Thomas Davey (1758-1823), the Proclamation Board is actually Governor George Arthur’s (1784-1854) Proclamation to the Aborigines. The Board presents a four-strip pictogram that attempts to explain the idea of equality under the law. Those who committed violent crimes, in Van Diemen’s Land (now Tasmania), be they Aboriginal Australian or European settler, would be punished in the same way."

Source: http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/stories/governor-daveys-proclamation-aborigines

Unfortunately, this very liberal view did not prevail and over the decades of the 1820s and 1830s what came to be known as the Black War occurred between the British settlers and the Aboriginal people which led to almost the destruction of the entire Tasmanian Aboriginal population, an act of genocide.





So, another jam-packed day of fun in Tassie for us on Day Three.

If you would like to read about my earlier adventures in Tassie, please click on the following link/s:


Terrific Tassie .... Day One of Five

Terrific Tassie .... Day Two of Five


hugs, 


P.P.S. 
Please don't forget to check out my first little giveaway for 2017. It closes on the 12th Jan - you have just enough time to squeeze your entry in, if you are quick.

13 comments:

Bea said...

Oh Kaye, what a fabulous day. I love historic buildings so I think I was a little envy green by the end of your wonderful photos. And the seahorses looked fascinating.

Ariadne said...

Oh I was so looking forward to this blogpost!How lovely to see all those little seahorses!We don't find seahorses here often!And I loved the museum tour!Thanks!AriadnefromGreece!

Anonymous said...

wow such amazing pics Kaye,thankyou for sharing,you sure got to see lots of interesting things.

Linda said...

Loved all of the pictures Kaye.

Linda

Tiffstitch said...

Love the seahorses!! So cute and interesting and colourful. That was my favourite part of The Life Aquatic, the crayon seahorse.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Another great day out. I love all those little seahorses. I always found them fascinating too.

Daniela Bencúrová said...

Wow, a lot of beauty! Porcelain is wonderful, I love it!
The first time I see a seahorse :-)
Hugs!

deb said...

What glorious pictures! Franklin House looks such a delightful place to wander around slowly so one can take it all in.

Seahorses! Going by the one you got to hold, those were good sized guys - such a delight! I love to look at them and find myself wondering how they can bereal - they almost look made up. :)

Barb said...

Another wonderful post. I saw sea horses at the Knoxville TN aquarium. I wonder if they came form your part of the world.

Brigitte said...

Franklin House must be awesome, so full of history and historical accessories. Thanks for the great pictures from there.
It must have been wonderful for you to see all the great little seahorses in different stages or growth.

Julie said...

So many wonderful things I could comment on, the seahorses are amazing, you captured such fabulous pictures of these beauties.

Margaret said...

Amazing! I love seeing everything! The seahorses are pretty amazing -- to see them in the various stages of growing up is so cool!

Heather said...

Sounds like a fun day! Great pictures!

Secret Stitching Sweetheart Blog Hop.....

  Hello my lovelies and Happy Valentine's Day....   ... and this means it is time again for the fabulous Valentine's Day Blog hop o...